Is this group no longer active?
Speakup is run by and for people with learning disabilities and autistic people.
It all started back in 1988 when a group of people with learning disabilities came together because they were unhappy that people were not listening to them.
Speakup gives people with learning disabilities and autistic people a voice, employment opportunities and makes sure that people are valued and included in society.
At Speakup we have been supporting, employing and training people with learning disabilities and autistic people to use their skills and abilities to help others and make a difference for over 30 years.
We provide advocacy support to people through self advocacy, peer advocacy and one to one advocacy.
We do many other things to support people with learning disabilities and autistic people, including:
- Making Easyread information
- Making films to help people become independent and stay safe
- Providing employment to people
- Training professionals in how to communicate with and support people in better ways
- Supporting and enabling people to learn new skills, have a job and do more things in their lives
- Working with local, regional and national groups/government and the NHS to make peoples lives and health better
- Campaigning for services and support for people to be better
- Celebrating the lives of people with learniing disabilities and autistic people
- Supporting friendships and helping people to fell less lonely in their local community
....and much, much more
Visit us at www.speakup.org.uk